Thursday, August 2, 2007

LOOKS THAT COULD KILL!

I had recently bid adieu to my student life. Speaking about my student life, I don’t have anything new to share coz half the student population on graduating have done a brilliant job of describing their college life and friends in teary and emotional words. Yes college life was fun, yes I had a great time hanging out with friends, yes I loved dreaming about bunking class but never mustering the courage to do so, yes I did spend a chunk of my college life in the canteen etc etc. So to save time (both your’s and mine) I will just say I had an ordinary yet smashing five years as a student.

However, I had voluntarily decided to put an end to all those years of eating junk and occasional waves of homesickness by deciding to fly back to my nest – Dubai. So with shoulders drooping with the excess carry on luggage and gold coated dreams, I was greeted by family and friends in a way that befits a hostage let free. To make a long story short and less boring, with the initial excitement dying down, spells of staring at the ceiling and wondering what did happen to Amelia Earhart after all and far too much time orkutting, I found myself pouring over classifieds and soon got a job as an English Editor in a trade publication. I always knew that the work culture here was always different from India. But how different can it get? Turns out very different!!

Step into any office here in Dubai, it need not even be an extremely posh one. You are forgiven for re – reading the name of the company after entering the office and for thinking that you have entered a modelling agency by mistake. People are almost always dressed up so well that you can bet some good money that they might be either getting paid a fortune or might be spending a fortune on clothes with no money to spare. Coming from a college where every student could be spotted wearing oversized kurtas and shredded jeans, I found it next to impossible to effortlessly mingle with these people who swear by Armanio, Ralph Lauren and Gucci designs. Soon I found myself very often in extremely hi profile shopping outlets with names I can’t even pronounce and clothes that have price tags that can even stir the dead. Morning coffee was no longer accompanied by the morning newspaper, but by fashion magazines. Soon my oily T zone, my ‘imperfect’ nose and the teeny tiny birthmark above my right eyebrow started to become my life’s biggest woes!

With your earnings being dwindled away at such a rapid rate, it does not take too long for any person to come right back on track, as I have. I have now learnt that, yes looks do matter but it should not rob you of a peaceful night’s sleep! Nothing is worth all that trouble and by the end of the day, it’s your confidence and attitude that will make you stand out in a crowd of Victoria Beckham, Kate Moss, Penelope Cruz and Aishwarya Rai look-alikes!


So now life is back to being all rosy again..!:)

8 comments:

Dreamer! said...

bravo...encore..encore!!!!
lady, really liked ur style of writin..u gonna be ma next inspiration!!

cookiemonsta said...

nicely written =)

yawn said...

hey!!thanx man!but do let me know about the neagtive bits too so i can improve:)

Kelvy said...

hey nicely written...all the articles were good..heheh i can realte with u in all this coz i too feel so dazed and have a complex wen i hav to be even near these arab females who wear only top designer clothes and wear pricy perfumes and accessories and wat not...

yawn said...

hey cookiemonsta, thanx for the compliment! glad you liked it!

yawn said...

hey insane. ya i guess it applies to the whole gulf region. poor us!;)

Unknown said...

Dont tell me that you are on diet...

yawn said...

no fenn i am not on a diet!!u do remember how much i love food rite??:)