Saturday, January 3, 2009

Hello, God? You there?

My concept of spirituality has undergone innumerable changes. From the innocent and complete faith of a child, to the 'cool' disregard of anything that has to do with spirituality as a teenager, to the now more cynical approach. I know, in times like these, with the Gaza attacks escalating and assuming fearful levels and a Third World War lurking around the corner, it would do one good to flex those knees and kneel down, head bent in prayer.
Much like most, I was stuck to my TV set every time a news bulletin about the Sister Abhaya case popped up. Choosing to ignore the religious attachments to the case, I was shocked and stupified as I watched the events unfold in a series that can be best described as 'The TV's Da Vinci Code'. I say this because, Da Vinci code did to books what the Sister Abhaya Case did to Television. More readers, more viewers. I also say this because, while the Da Vinci Code brought along with many religious controversies, the Abhaya Case, too, did not escape the wrath of religious followers.
But let's not taint our take on the matter with religion. I happened to surf the internet when the news of three prime suspects being released on bail hit me like a truck of bricks. I came across certain forums that indirectly supported the prime suspects and supported the view that this was a case of 'trail by media'.
But what caught my attention was a discussion which began saying that the prime suspects were able to elude justice for 16 long years because they worked for God ... or something to that effect!
I cant help but feel that this is a classic case of the 'glass half full' syndrome. Many lamented that justice was not meted to those guilty at a sooner time. Some also said that ultimately, the guilty could not escape punishment. Sadly, the latter formed a very feeble minority.
No doubt, supporting the 'half glass full' school of thought is more comforting. So, why not do it more often? I know the 16 year wait for justice might have been a bitter one, but doesn't solving a case and bringing the suspects to light after 16 years say something? Perhaps that all is not lost?

2 comments:

Kelvy said...

hummm
its funny how the Abhaya case is goin....well we always knew that it had preists invloved, but wats the use they are out on bail now anyway na....humm but i guess life does hav a way of turing around and at some point truth does come out...

yawn said...

@ enigma,
ya.. i was totally shocked too... but to think that whoever is behind this crime, irrespective of class and stature will be bought to book soon is rather comforting.. but guess only time will tell where this will remain just a 'thought'.